HELLO BANKED SLALOM RACERS!
Firstly, we would like to thank you for your patience today – all this snow is certainly a GREAT thing for riding pow, but it has certainly made for some race challenges!
1. The Washington State Department of Transportation will be CLOSING THE MT. BAKER HIGHWAY Saturday at approx mm 37 (just east of Glacier) due to forecasted significant avalanche danger. The Northwest Weather and Avalanche Center has predicted that the rain event Saturday on top of the tremendous snowfall we have had this week could produce one of the most significant avalanche dangers the Pacific Northwest has seen in 20 years. (wow)
2. THE RACE IS CANCELLED FOR SATURDAY and the ski area will be CLOSED. In light of that, WE QUALIFIED 50% OF FRIDAY’S RACERS as the finalists for Sunday.
3. Anyone who DID NOT QUALIFY will receive a GUARANTEED ENTRY into the 2009 (next year’s) Legendary Banked Slalom. (we hope that helps! )
4. ALL RACERS (and friends) are welcome at the Salmon BBQ on SUNDAY. We will hold the BBQ in front of the White Salmon Lodge (complete with bonfire) prior to the Awards Ceremony.
5. SUNDAY’S FORECAST: 2,000 feet freezing level morning dropping to 1500 by the afternoon with 12 inches of new possible!
Thanks again to everyone for making the effort to come visit Baker. . . . . . we hope you got some good powder turns in today . . . .hunker down and stay out of the rain on Saturday and then GEAR UP for Sunday! We’ll be ready and waiting for you for the SUNDAY FINALS and SALMON BBQ!
Gwyn, Amy, Nicole and the Banked Slalom and Mt. Baker Crew
Result List Pro Men (Top 30) 1st Qualifier:
(…with our youngest team rider placed 12th !)