Blister Review founder Jonathan Ellsworth sits down for a long Skype chat with Amplid's Peter Bauer to talk about snowboarding, it's history, it's culture and Peter's involvement from the mid 80ies. For those interested in Snowboarding's roots and how the sport got to where it is in 2017 it's a must-listen!
"Peter is an extraordinary guy. Born in Bavaria, he started skiing at the age of two. Sixteen years later, he saw his first snowboard, and was immediately captivated. And then just two years after seeing a snowboard for the first time, he was riding so well that the man himself, Jake Burton, asked Peter to ride for Burton, and Peter went on to become a 5-time European champion, a 4-time world champion, and one of the true pioneers of freeriding.
As if all of that wasn’t enough, Peter was also intimately involved in product design Burton for about 20 years, then around 2004, Peter co-founded Amplid, the first company ever to make both skis and snowboards right from the get-go.
Peter and I touch on all of these things, and whether you are passionate about skiing or snowboarding — or skateboarding or surfing, which we also discuss — I am certain that you are going to appreciate this conversation."
TOPICS & TIMES
- Growing up in Bavaria, skiing at the age of two, and when he came to get on his first snowboard (4:25)
- Being asked by Jake Burton to ride for Burton (14:27)
- The early days of snowboard design (19:30)
- The early culture — and crusade — of snowboarding (24:57)
- Snowboarding, self-identification, and the need early on to be “against skiing” (31:37)
- How the industry and snowboard media hurt the growth of snowboarding (38:19)
- Which industry currently has the healthiest culture — snowboarding, skiing, surfing, or skateboarding? (46:33)
- What is the status of park riding today, and what is the status of backcountry riding today? (54:27)
- As a rider, which of your achievements or titles are you most proud of? (1:01:40)
- What led you to start Amplid, and what makes Amplid unique? (1:03:19)
Visit Blister Review for more great interviews, ski and snowboard equipment reviews and opinion pieces from Jonathan and his team.